This naturally dyed Dusky Pink coloured yarn is your opportunity to purchase a special skein of this locally sourced product. This yarn combines locally sourced fleeced with locally sourced zero waste dyeing to bring you a true sustainable yarn option.
This yarn has been hand dyed in small sustainable batches, if you are choosing yarn for a larger project you will need to alternate between skeins to get an even look.
These skeins are expertly spun up by the Border Mill to a DK weight and give 170m per 100g.
These skeins would be perfect for hats, acessories, blankets and will give great definition on cable projects.
Here are more details of the time and work that has gone into creating this yarn.
- 100% British wool sourced from within 12 miles of the Loch Ness Knitting base in Drumnadrochit.
- Shetland/Cheviot refers to the cross breed of sheep not a blend of fibres.
- This yarn is straight off the sheep 100% pure with nothing added.
- Raw fleece hand picked clean and prepared for spinning by me.
- Fleece transported to and expertly spun up by The Border Mill.
- This yarn hasn't left Scotland yet!
- Collection of raw and natural dye materials, this includes traditional natural dyes as well as food waste from local cafes or woodland waste ie invasive plants
- Processing raw materials, cutting, stripping, soaking and cleaning
- Preparation of raw materials into dye
- Preparation of yarn for dyeing, known as mordanting
- Dyeing – hand dyed in small batches using a variety of slow, sustainable and traditional methods taking hours, days or weeks, such as fermentation
- Natural drying
- Labelling, listing and photographing for online sales
- Point of sale
- Shipping, wrapping, labelling, taking to Post Office or courier
- Regular stock checking
- Email communications and behind the scenes updates
- Other business development activities, ie locally sourced Loch Ness Yarn, pattern designing and course teaching.
If you would like to make an open contribution to my work please consider donating to my Go Fund Me Sustainable Off Grid project to set up solar and water systems for my business.